Infested: How The Bed Bug Infiltrated Our Bedrooms and Took Over the World, 2015 from the University of Chicago Press with additional support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking, 2016 from the University of Chicago Press
Bylines at Scientific American, Popular Science, the Atlantic, the Guardian, BuzzFeed News, FiveThirtyEight, Slate, Verge, Audubon, Science, Quartz, Mental Floss, NOVA: Next, BBC, Time, Nautilus, Quanta, Bicycling, Discover, Cosmos, Modern Farmer, Australian Geographic, Undark, Aeon, bioGraphic, and more.
Current articles editor at Undark magazine. Freelance editing projects on request, including: magazine pitches, book proposals, and articles.
Research and Fact-Checking
Current director of The Fact-Checking Project at the Knight Science Journalism Program at MIT. Former research editor at Science Illustrated and former fact-checker for Quanta. Special research projects for outlets including Popular Science and Audubon.
New York University
The Brooklyn Brainery
New York University, John W. Draper Interdisciplinary Program
Master of Arts, Humanities and Social Thought, 2007 (Focus: Science Studies/History of Science/Gender Theory)
Boston University, College of Engineering
Bachelor of Science, Biomedical Engineering, 2002
AWARDS, GRANTS, AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 2019 Finalist, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine Communication Awards
- 2019 Outstanding Science or Technology Article, American Society of Journalists and Authors
- 2017 American Health Care Journalists Travel Fellowship
- 2016 Cissy Patterson Fellowship, Alicia Patterson Foundation
- 2014 Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Book Grant
- 2012 Kavli Prize Travel Grant
- 2011 Kyoto Prize Journalism Fellowship
- 2011 Biomedical Logan Science Journalism Fellowship, Marine Biological Laboratory
- 2010 Ocean Science Journalism Fellowship, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- 2009 Press Week Fellowship, The Jackson Laboratory/Johns Hopkins
[Full resume and references available upon request]